Friday, May 16, 2008

For Wolves and Wilderness

So I actually got to go to the "Living with Wolves" presentation last night. More information about their actual project can be found on my site and theirs.

Their project became so big that they made two documentaries on it and a few books. The documentaries air on the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet every-so-often; they are very good.

My professor went to the conference that was being held in New Hampshire on Tuesday and told them all about me. They told her that they wanted me to come to the one in Connecticut "as their guest," seeing has how it wasn't open to the public. So I convinced my Dad and he drove me all the way to CT, a two and a half hour drive (I hate driving and I have no sense of direction, so I would have gotten lost).

When we got there, the Dutchers were just arriving. After they set up a few things, they came over to me and I introduced myself. Right away they knew who I was and they said that they were very happy I came. We took some pictures and talked a little before they had to help set up again.

While my Dad and I were sitting in the theater room, the woman who travels with the Dutchers came over and started talking to me about wolves and college and whatnot. She then asked if I wanted to help pass out brochures before the presentation started, which I did. Jim and Jamie were sitting at a table across from me
(book signing) while I was doing that, so I got to talk to them more. Jim came right over to me and we talked about the recent de-listing of wolves off the Endangered Species list. They both said that they were very impressed with what I knew.

Right before they started showing the slide show, Jim did a special thanks to producers, the principal from the school, and then me. It was so awesome to hear them honor me like that!

The presentation itself was a good 20 minutes talking about the killing of wolves and how they have been stripped of their protection. After that, they had a slide show of all the members of the Sawtooth Pack and they went over the roles of a wolf pack, their names, etc. Lastly, they cut their documentaries into a 40 minute movie and showed us that. It's been a little while since I watched them last (I own them), so it was a nice refresher.

At the end, before everyone left, Jamie said: "And again, I would like to thank Kelsey, who came all the way from Cape Cod, MA, to see this presentation and care so much for these wolves." I wanted to die of joy.

"To Kelsey - for wolves and wilderness. Wolves need more friends like you. Thank you so much for your support. We are sure you will make a huge impact on this world! Our very best, Jamie and Jim Dutcher (signed in my book).

1 comment:

cheyenne said...

i love wolves and i would love to help them live on please tell me how to help you can contact me on facebook and msn at cheyennemb@hotmail.com